Dr. Michael Clarke’s Medical
The Clinical Experience:
Dr. Clarke has performed hundreds of resurfacing procedures and has one of the longest and largest experiences of Hip Resurfacing in the entire USA. He has implanted several different types of total hip resurfacing in the past and currently uses the FDA approved Birmingham Hip Resurfacing manufactured by Smith & Nephew.
The Academic Benefit:
Dr. Clarke is a respected lecturer both nationally and internationally on Hip Replacement and Resurfacing and has published original research in this field. He is an invited peer reviewer for several of the leading orthopaedic journals read by orthopaedic surgeons worldwide.
Until September 2006, Dr. Clarke was on the clinical and teaching faculty of SUNY-Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, NY where he was Director of Adult Reconstruction. Now practicing with Syracuse Orthopedic Specialists, Dr. Clarke continues his research interests and is devoted to the advancement of orthopaedic knowledge.
Dr. Clarke performs and oversees both laboratory and clinical research projects that aim to further advance the art of treating diseases of the hip, including hip resurfacing. He has been awarded many research grants from both corporate and governmental agencies and continues to conduct laboratory and clinical research in novel orthopaedic technologies.
Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery 2002
Orthopaedic Fellowship Training:
- Clinical Fellow (Research and Joint Reconstruction), Orthopaedic Research Unit, Addenbrooke's Hospital & BUPA Cambridge Lea Hospital, Cambridge University, England.
- Joint Reconstruction Fellow, Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital, University of East Anglia, Norwich, England.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery
Orthopaedic Residency Training:
- Orthopaedic Resident, Cambridge University Training Programme, England.
- University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas.
- General Surgical Training
- General Surgical Resident, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester University, England.
- Graduate School (MD & MA)-University of Oxford Medical School, Oxford, UK
- Undergraduate School (BA)-University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Academic Prizes and Awards:
- Cambridge University orthopaedic research prize
- British Orthopaedic Association Traveling Fellow
- Orthopaedic trainees national research prize
- International orthopaedic trainees research prize
- Central England Orthopaedic Club prize
- The East Midlands orthopaedic research prize
- The Radcliffe Infirmary prize for medical studies
Membership of Professional Societies:
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- American Academy Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Arthritis Foundation
- International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- British Hip Society
- British Orthopaedic Research Society
- British Orthopaedic Association