For those that do not know what an Iron Man is, it is a Triathlon
In triathlon, there are basically four distances:
1.) Olympic Distance
Swim .9 miles
Bike 25 miles
Run 6.2 miles
In 2005 I was able to have my right hip resurfaced with a BHR from Smith and Nephew. Looking back on the past 11 years, I can say it has been quite a ride – literally!
I suffered a grievous injury to my right hip in a cycling accident in 1993. I had 5 stainless steel pins inserted into the femoral head to hold things in place and after an arduous recovery went about my life. That life included working full-time, fathering 3 children, studying for a doctorate, and competing at the world level in triathlons, ultra runs, bicycle races and blue water swims.
Our growing club should have open doors, promoting an active lifestyle is the only price for admission."
Steve Cohan had surgery with Dr. Koen De Smet in Belgium on January 15, 2003. On October 5, 2007, Steve emailed me and asked me to get him in touch with fellow patient and triathlete (name deleted) because his wife had just decided to register them both for the Ironman 2008 in Wisconsin.
Hi my name is Rick Rubio. July 23rd, 2008 was my one year anniversary of having a hip resurfacing and I ran my second Marathon since the surgery.
I am 55 and have always been active and involved in sports. In the early 80’s I started running marathons, and then in the late 80’s I started doing triathlons. I also played tournament racquetball for many years, played some tennis and for quite a few years played softball. Needless to say participating in sports has been an important part of my life.
I am a 49 year old adult male that was suffering from Osteoarthritis in my left hip. I had subluxed my hip in an accident in 1995 and had experienced sporadic hip pain since then. I always lead an active lifestyle but did not compete athletically until later in life.
My BHR in Chennai, India with Dr. Bose and his team was on March 28, 2007. Back in Canada mid-April.
Timeline of post-surgery events
- Completed a 'sprint' distance triathlon in Calgary, Alberta in August 2007
- Commenced training for Ironman Canada in November 2007
- Sprint distance triathlon - June 2008
- Half Ironman Triathlon - July 2008
- My 60th birthday - July 12 (Part-tay!!!)
- Seattle to Portland 2 Day (about 320km) bike ride - July 12 and 13
- Ironman Canada Triathlon August 2008 (3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.6km run). Took an hour off my previous personal best time in three prior Ironmans (although there were a few other issues in these races).