Dr. Michael Mont
Dr. Mont is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon with extensive experience in total joint replacement and reconstruction. He received his fellowship training in reconstructive surgery at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. He specializes in complex total joint revisions and actively participates in many different research studies in the areas of joint preservation and replacement.
As a partner in care, Dr. Mont ensures that the referring physician is kept abreast of the status of each patient from diagnosis through treatment and recovery.
Michael A. Mont, M.D.
Center for Joint Preservation and Replacement
Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics
Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
2401 West Belvedere Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21215
A partial listing of Dr. Mont’s credentials includes the following:
- He hails from the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions where he was an associate professor. He has
published more than 500 articles and book chapters on various aspects of joint reconstruction.
- Dr. Mont delivers innovative solutions for a broad range of joint disorders.
- He is committed to patient education and communication with referring physicians.
- Dr. Mont was instrumental in bringing revolutionary hip replacement technologies to the United States.
- Dr. Mont is involved in multiple professional societies including the Knee Society, Hip Society and the National Osteonecrosis Foundation. He is an editor for multiple journals and he has received multiple research grants.
- Dr. Mont completed his orthopedic residency at Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, where he received hands-on experience in performing complicated reconstructive surgery.
- His medical degree is from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Dr. Mont is director of the annual Hip Joint Course, a conference which brings together the world leaders in hip joint preservation and reconstruction. For information on this accredited educational activity, please visit www.HipJointCourse.com.
Delivering Innovative Solutions
Dr. Mont has performed more than 6,000 primary joint replacements and also has extensive specialty training in the surgical treatment of complex bone disorders, including secondary or revision joint replacement surgery and infected joints. His early training and ten years of experience was acquired at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions.
Dr. Mont started at Hopkins in 1989 and was confronted with many teenagers who had osteonecrosis, a bone disease that leads to joint destruction. Rather than performing total hip replacements in these young patients, he became dedicated to trying to save these joints by developing innovative new bone grafting techniques and other procedures.
In addition, he is a world expert on preserving joints. He is currently involved in multiple innovative procedures aimed at trying to save patients from needing replacements. Dr. Mont also performs the most difficult hip and knee replacements; he has become known as the reconstructive surgeon of last resort as he is sent cases from around the country and world that other surgeons are reluctant to attempt.
Dr. Michael A. Mont, M.D.
Dr. Mont has been instrumental in bringing a revolutionary hip replacement alternative, called metal-on-metal resurfacing, to the United States. This alternative procedure offers younger patients several possible advantages over the traditional total hip replacement including bone preservation, greater range of motion, reduced risk of dislocation, a more natural feeling joint and normal gait (walking) characteristics.
He is presently working on a new minimally invasive approach for total knee replacement that preserves much of the natural knee.
Achieving the Highest Quality of Life with the Least Risk
Dr, Mont believes in educating his patients and in exhausting all conservative treatment options before recommending surgery. As a result, many patients are effectively treated with nonsurgical interventions, which may include weight loss, physical therapy, oral medication and injections. If surgical intervention is required, Dr. Mont provides each patient, and his or her immediate family, with a full description of the procedure, the risks and potential complications, and a thorough explanation of the postsurgical rehabilitation process.
Treatment for a Wide Range of Orthopedic Conditions
Dr. Mont specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of joint pain in teens and adults due to:
- Joint degeneration
- Complex bone and joint disorders
- Osteonecrosis (also known as avascular necrosis or AVN)
- Hip and knee injuries
More information about Dr. Mont
Dr. Mont is dedicated to his wife, Rhonda, and their four children: Judy, Harrison, Shayna, and Billy. He is an avid tennis player and enjoys nothing more than teaching his children. His other hobbies include being a national baseball trivia expert who has appeared on television quiz shows. He is also an amateur conchologist, and he and his wife collect ladies’ compacts and dance purses.