Dr. Scott Ball, MD
Assistant Clinical Professor
Clinical Specialty & Interests
- Total Hip Replacement
- Hip Resurfacing
- Total Knee Replacement
- Computer Assisted Navigation
- Arthroscopy / Cartilage Resurfacing
- Revision Hip & Knee Replacement
Education & Training
- 2005-2006, Fellow, Adult Reconstruction, Orthopaedic Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
- 2001-2005, Resident, U.C. San Diego, Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2000, Research Fellow, U.C. San Diego, Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 1999, Internship, University of California, San Diego
- 1995-1999, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA
- 1988-1992, University of California, Santa Barbara
Honors & Awards
- June Marshall Award for Clinical Research, Orthopaedic Hospital, June 2006.
- J. Leonard Goldner Award, Best Basic Science Paper, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Meeting, July 2005.
- Co-author, OREF Award, California Orthopaedic Association, May 2003
- DePuy Orthopaedic Research Award, California Orthopaedic Association, May 2003
- Vernon P. Thompson Award, Western Orthopaedic Association, August 2002
- Best Basic Science Paper Award, Societe Francaise d’Arthroscopie at La Beaule, France, December 6-8, 2001
- Graduated Cum Laude, Jefferson Medical College
- National Pathology Honor Society
- Hobart Amory Hare Medical Honor Society
- Ball ST, LeDuff MJ, Amstutz HC: Conversion of Failed Resurfacing Arthroplasty of the Hip. Accepted with revisions. J Bone and Joint Surg – American. 2006.
- Ball ST, In Y, Mahoney OM, Schmalzried TP: Fixed vs. Rotating Platform Knee Replacement. A prospective, randomized study. Submitted to J Bone and Joint Surg – American. May 2006.
- Amstutz HC, Ball ST, LeDuff MJ, Dorey F: Hip Resurfacing for Patients under 50 years of age. Results of 350 ConserveÒ Plus With a 2-9 Year Follow-up. Accepted with revisions. Clin Orthop Rel Research. 2006.
- Bitsch R, Ball ST, Moreland J, Schmalzried TP: Reduction of Osteolysis with Crosslinked Polyethylene at Five Years. Submitted to J Bone and Joint Surg – American. June 2006.
- Ball ST, Schwartz AK, Brage ME. Severe Bilateral Foot and Ankle Injuries in Motocross Riders. Submitted to Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, September 2006.
- Ball ST, Jadin KD, Allen RT, Schwartz AK, Sah RL, Brage ME: Chondrocyte viability after intra-articular calcaneus fractures in humans. Accepted by Foot and Ankle International, August 2006.
- Ball ST, Amiel, D, Williams SK, Tontz W, Chen AC, Sah RL, Amiel D, Bugbee WD. The Effects of Storage on Fresh Human Osteochondral Allografts. Clin Orthop 418:246-252, 2004.
- Tis JE, Ball ST, Chambers H. Transtalar Drilling of Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus in Children and Adolescents. Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery, March 2004.
- Ball ST, Goomer RS, Ostrander R, Tontz W, Williams SK, Amiel D. Pre-Incubation of Perichondrial Cells in a Polylactic Acid Scaffold Enhances Donor Cell Retention. Clin Orthop 420: 276-285, March 2004.
- Amiel D, Ball ST, Tasto J: Chondrocyte Viability and Metabolic Activity after Treatment of Bovine Articular Cartilage with Bipolar Radiofrequency: An In Vitro Study. Arthroscopy 20(5):503-510, 2004.
- Lane JG, Massie JB, Ball ST, Amiel ME, Chen AC, Bae WC, Sah RL and Amiel D: Followup of Osteochondral Plug Transfers in a Goat Model. American Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol 32, No. 6. 1440-1450. 2004.
- Williams SK, Amiel D, Ball ST, Allen RT, Wong VW, Chen A, Sah RL, Bugbee WD: Prolonged Storage Effects on the Articular Cartilage of Fresh Human Osteochondral Allografts. J Bone Joint Surg 85:2111-2120, 2003.
- Brage ME, Ball ST: Surgical options for salvage of end-stage hallux rigidus. Foot and Ankle Clinics of North America, Volume 7, 2002.
- Lane JG, Tontz WL, Ball ST, Massie JB, Chen A, Bae WB, Amiel M, Sah R, Amiel D. A Morphologic, Biochemical, and biomechanical assessment of Short-Term Effects of Osteochondral Autograft Plug Transfer in an Animal Model. Arthroscopy. 17(8):856-63. 2001.
- Ball ST, Vaccaro AR, Albert TJ, Cotler JM. Injuries of the Thoracolumbar Spine Associated with Restraint Use in Head-on Motor Vehicle Accidents. J Spinal Disord. 13(4):297-304, 2000.
- Vaccaro AR, Ball, ST: Indications for Instrumentation in Degenerative Lumbar Spinal Disorders. Orthopedics. 23(3):260-71; CME quiz 272-3, 2000.
- Ball ST, Vaccaro AR, Klein GR, Albert TJ, Cotler JM. Combined Anterior and Posterior Surgery for Fractures of the Thoracolumbar Spine. Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal. 1998.